Pages

7.18.2011

a lockhart bbq pilgrimage

This past weekend, I took my cousin Colby, my uncle Glenn, and my friend Wes to Lockhart, TX for a day filled with authentic Texas style barbecue. None of them had ever been to Lockhart, so I warned them of potential spontaneous outbursts of tears when tasting the barbecue. My cousin and uncle are from Georgia, so they're used to pulled pork and vinegar based sauces. Needless to say, they were not disappointed with Texas style barbecue.

There are three major barbecue joints in the small town of Lockhart, those being Smitty's Market, Kreuz Market, and Black's Barbecue. There is another one by the name of Chisholm Trail, but we decided to focus on the main three. I told them about the family feud between Smitty's and Kreuz, which just made them even more excited. They got a real kick with the playful signs from Black's, claiming to be the oldest SAME family owned barbecue joint in Texas (poking fun at the fact that Smitty's and Kreuz split off).

We went to Smitty's first, then Black's, then Kreuz. We ordered brisket, pork ribs, and sausage at each place. No sides, just meat. At the end, we all decided which ones were our favorites, and here they are:

Best Brisket - Black's Barbecue
Best Pork Ribs - Smitty's Market
Best Sausage - Tie between Smitty's Market and Kreuz Market
Best Atmosphere - Smitty's Market
Best Overall - Smitty's Market


Check out the pictures of our adventure below. Have you had these places before? What are your opinions on the barbecue here?

Smitty's Market

Don't fall into the fire


Pile 'O Meat

Mmmm, sausage!


Wes chowing on a rib

Colby having a moment with his brisket






















































































Black's Barbecue



A monster beef rib


































Kreuz Market


'We have salad, we just don't have forks!'


One ginormous pit room



A yummy Shiner to end the day




3 comments:

Mark Barnett said...

You're not making my Monday any easier by posting all this fantastic bbq. Lockhart isn't that far. Maybe I can make it there tomorrow for lunch.

I do have to agree with your overall rankings. I always remembered liking Black's a lot more when I was younger, but I went there recently and my memories were not very accurate. I mean it was good, but it wasn't worth the drive. Good thing it's on my way to various Mission Presbytery events!

rla said...

Great post, Matt! Brings back some delicious memories when you, Dave, Chrissy and myself went to Smitty's. Fantastic food and plenty of it!

bkida said...

That settles it then, next time we're in Texas, you're in charge and I will simply follow.

Post a Comment

Share this Page